Monday, July 12, 2010

Storytime Books for the 1st Week of Kindergarten

Some are oldies but goodies.  Others are new classics. Here is a list of the books that have become a tradition in my classroom for the 1st week of Kindergarten.

At the top of my list is "We Like Kindergarten" by Clara Cassidy.  This Little Golden Book was a childhood favorite of mine.  I spent hours admiring the illustrations by Eloise Wilkins.

"The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn.  Who can resist Chester the timid racoon and the love he has for his Mommy. 

"Mrs. Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten" by Joseph Slate.  I love how Mrs. Bindergarten's classroom comes alive as she prepares for the 1st day of school.

"Will I Have a Friend?" by Miriam Cohen.  Making new friends is always a pretty scary task for Kindergarteners on the 1st day.  This book gently guides students through the process.

"The Crayon Box That Talked" by Shane DeRalf.  This is a great book to introduce the concept of creating a classroom family and learning to accept others, no matter how different.

"Look Out Kindergarten Here I Come!"  by Nancy Carlson.  The title says it all and the author depicts a Kindergarten classroom as a cheerful, welcoming place.

"There's A Dragon At My School" by Philip Hawthorne and Jenny Tyler.  The repetitive text featured on each page draws young children into the story.  A great read for introducing classroom rules.

"The Meanies Came to School"  by Joy Cowley.  Giggles abound everytime I read this book to my students.  This book is part of a series about the adventures of michevious, but harmless, monsters.

Here are some titles that I hope to add to my collection.

"The Night Before Kindergarten" by Natasha Wing
"Tiptoe to Kindergarten" by Jacqueline Rogers
"Kindergarten Rocks" by Katie Davis
"Countdown to Kindergarten" by Alison McGhee


No comments: