Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Dot

I recently discovered a children's book, so profound, that I knew I needed to share it with people who love teaching and learning as much as I do. It's called The Dot, and it perfectly captures the essence of teaching and learning better than any college textbook or guide to the latest, innovative educational movement that I have seen.

I have read The Dot over and over from different perspectives. From the perspective of a student, and then as a teacher.  It was important to me to do this because I consider myself both a teacher and a student simultaneously.  That's what makes teaching so magical.



I shared it with my students and I was delighted that they were familiar with it. They remembered that Ms. Brooks, our school's art teacher, read it with them at the beginning of the school year. (The actual setting of the book is an art classroom).
Since then I have shared it with my KG teaching team, my student intern, our school's reading coach, my husband (who is an elementary school principal), and now you....my blogging community.  And I'm not finished sharing yet.  It's THAT special.

If you are interested, check out the links on the book's title. It will take you directly to the author, Peter H. Reynold's website. 

"Just make a mark and see where it takes you."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mrs. Pearce,
'The Dot' is one of the stories in our reading series. I host an art show for the parents and do lots of activities! Check out my post on 'The Dot' here:

http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/02/host-your-own-class-art-show-while.html

Mrs. Pearce said...

Thanks for commenting on the article. That is so cool that the book is a part of your reading series! I can't wait to check your post out!!